If SOA is dead, long live services. Services (like the hero of the Irish song Finnigan's Wake) are not dead, they are only sleeping, and need to be woken up.
So do we need a new label? Some commentators have indicated that they would be happy to see the end of all such labels, but some have suggested a few alternatives.
- BaaS - Business as a Service
- CaaS - Capability as a Service
- CBDI - Capability-Based Dynamic Intelligence
- ELVIS - Enterprise Layered Virtual Information Services
- TAFKAS - The Architecture Formerly Known as SOA
- VICO - Virtualized IT Capability Orchestration
I particularly like the last of these. (Perhaps some of my readers will guess why.) But I guess the CaaS label is the most likely to fly.