One of the most interesting discussions at the SPARK workshop was about business strategy for SOA, with some great contributions from Steve Davis of Disney Studios. The first insight was on handling uncertainty, using Identity Management as an example.
Handling UncertaintyWho is going to dominate the identity space? There are several plausible scenarios.
- Credit card companies (Visa)
- Government agencies (national ID cards)
- Telecoms companies
- No single dominant position
- Do nothing until the situation resolves itself.
- Pick a winning horse. Maybe try to influence the outcome.
- Develop a strategy that is independent of the outcome.
- Tactical efficiency. Economics of scale / scope.
- Strategic flexibility. Ability to accommodate any of the possible scenarios.
Technorati Tags: identity SOA service-oriented SPARK SPARK06