Friday, May 26, 2006

SOA fightback

In October 2005, I proposed the term SOA 2.0. I wanted to make a distinction between two ways in which the SOA technology could be used.

Many (probably most) organizations are using SOA to deliver internal IT benefits, while some people are thinking about using SOA to deliver business transformation and improved customer experience. I don't personally find the former (what I call SOA 1.0) very interesting, but I accept that many organizations will want to do a fair amount of this before they venture into what I think is the more exciting stuff (which I call SOA 2.0).

Of course I saw some useful parallels between Web 2.0 and SOA 2.0 - similar to what some people are calling Enterprise 2.0 or Enterprise Web 2.0. But my focus was not on a new version of SOA as technology, but on a new set of (more interesting) uses for essentially the same technology.

However, the term SOA 2.0 is now starting to be used (particularly by Gartner and Oracle) for a rather confusing technical reframing of SOA. Apparently SOA 2.0 now includes EDA. This surprises many well-informed commentators, who had always thought that SOA was event-driven anyway.

So now the SOA 2.0 meme has fallen into serious disrepute. See attacks by Mark Little and Neil Ward-Dutton, with further commentary by Paul Krill (InfoWorld) and Joe McKendrick (ZDNet).

Perhaps I should sue someone?



SOA 2.0 Blog Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment